Thursday, February 10, 2011

Courage, dearheart.

I am one of those people who is never quite satisfied with myself. Mostly because there are things that I care about and want to do and say I love, but I don't take the time or have the guts to actually pursue them. But I'm changing that. Here's how.

--I am pursuing photography. If you know me at all, you know I love to document life through with my little point-and-click...but you probably also realize that I have no clue what I'm doing. So, I am researching SLRs and looking into shadowing a wedding photographer for the summer.
--I am pursuing music. I love to sing, but am afraid to sing in front of people...and I own guitar that I can't play. So, I am taking weekly guitar lessons. I only know three chords so far, but it's a start. And the singing will come with time...
--I am pursuing financial freedom. I have big dreams and big dreams cost money, so roommate and I have enrolled in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University at our church. And my savings account is getting bigger, praise God.
--I am pursuing travel. Roommate and I are making plans for a trip to Chicago this summer and beginning to save for summer 2012's Epic European Excursion. Also, my bestie and I have started discussing yearly trips--to see each other [she lives in Portland/Canada] and to see the world. Some years, the trips will be for pleasure [France, Greece, Germany, Amsterdam, New Zealand] and some years, they'll be to provide some sort of service [India, Africa, Haiti].

Basically, my Creator put these desires in my heart for a reason. He meant for them to be developed, pursued and USED--for His glory, for my pleasure and for the benefit of others [somehow]. Hiding them and shoving them down out of fear or practicality is living in a way that He doesn't want for me.

I remember reading Voyage of the Dawn Treader and at one point during a terrible storm at sea, Aslan says to Lucy, "Courage, dearheart." Jesus spoke to me so strongly in that one line that I turned it into a painting that hangs over my bed.

My Jesus wants me to be courageous--so, I will choose to suck it up, stop being afraid and pursue the very things He has placed in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah.
    Your writing is brilliant.
    I'm so proud of you and where you're heading! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that means a lot, joyful. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete